A Tribute To My Guru



For many Mother Theresa is a guru. For many others, Mahatma Gandhi. Others consider Jesus their guru. For me, my guru is a domestic shorthair feline named Daisy. And I believe that in the areas of Love and Wisdom she is right up there with the aforementioned beings. This beautiful soul truly made more of a difference in my life than just about anyone else. She proved that the Wise Ones don't always necessarily show up on Earth in human form alone.

"Divinity in a fur coat" is what I used to call Daisy. Daisy made her transition to the other side on October 31, 2011. And such a bright beautiful loving light that she is, she continues to be with me and show me love even now, from her new home in the realm of spirit. In life, she taught me the art of unconditional love, peace, serenity, and calm. Not much ruffled her feathers. When she was faced with adversity and forced to choose between standing her ground and fleeing, this wise beautiful soul always stood her ground. She did not have claws to defend herself and yet, she squarely face her opponent, puffed herself up, and demanded respect of her space. She was/is the most peaceful, loving and gentle being I know and she could stand up for herself in a way that was also peaceable, yet firm. I never once saw her get into a fight with another animal. Her loving and firm manner of taking a stand was always enough. There was never an escalation to a physical confrontation. Granted mommy was always at the ready to save her from harm's way....nonetheless, I never needed to. By the time I happened on the scene of a confrontation, Daisy had it mastered. She exuded her calm, loving presence in a firm no-nonsense manner and it worked, every time. How many of us can say that's true for us? How many of us are able to stay in a space of calm, loving presence during a confrontation?

These "face-offs" that all cats have from time to time were far and few between for Daisy. She was accepting of all, human or animal. She was here to spread her gift of Love and Light and that she did. At night, when I lay down to sleep, Daisy would hop right up on the bed and immediately come to lay on my chest. She loved to lay on my chest, especially during the most difficult times in my life. She was a healer and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was working on my heart. Mending it, healing it. I could not sit down, not even for a second, without Daisy immediately hopping into my lap. She was always working on me with her love. Reiki masters have nothing on her!

We are as closely linked as any two souls can be. Last night Daisy offered me a most rare gift...just when I thought her generosity and expression of love couldn't expand any more. I awoke in the night and shuffled into the restroom half asleep, noticing that she was at my feet. I acknowledged her, saying hello, and '"come on back to bed, that's where I'm headed..." Shortly after falling asleep I got to spend some time with Daisy, this time in her realm. I went to her, instead of her spirit coming to me during my waking hours. I actually got to see her physical furry body and feel her beautiful soft fur again. She knows how much I still miss her physical presence--petting her, snuggling with her--and in orchestrating this beautiful experience I was able to, just for a fleeting moment, connect with her physical form again. God, what a gift. Still sharing her love, still spreading her light.

And so, after this amazing experience I have spent today remembering her, carrying her on the surface of my heart, and being grateful to her, as always. She spent her life giving to me, showing me how to be calm and serene, demonstrating the path of least resistance, showing me how to love unconditionally, showing me how to stand up to bullies, carrying me through my grief when she transitioned (without her I would have fallen apart--even then she helped heal me and hold me up), and showing me the true meaning of friendship. So it is a small thing for me to sit here and write this tribute to her, in comparison to all of the gifts she gave me. It's the least I can do.

All of the gifts that Daisy had to offer, all of the things I learned from her, are the same exact things that people seek from their respective "gurus". There is no difference in the Love and Light she shared from those of other spiritual masters we revere. And so, I have no problem saying that my guru is four legged and furry...Divinity in a fur coat.

Comments

  1. beautiful . . . inspiring . . . u r a very special person, heather!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The High Heart Chakra--Further Integration

A Note to the Empaths During Covid-19

Get your play on!